Friday, March 14, 2014

Pluto's Triple Post - My "Nevermore" Dilemma | Darren Shan is Awesome | A Really, Really Quick Note

Hello! I'm back! And with our first triple post!

MY NEVERMORE DILEMMA

Remember New Year's Eve? I'm sure you do.

Well, I had been checking out a comic anthology of Poe stories, except for the fact that they were modernized and such (i.e., "The Black Cat" was made into a circus setting, with the resurrected Pluto being a black panther, and "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" being set in a future with holograms and stuff). We got it on New Year's Eve, towards midnight, from Amazon.

The weird cover for Nevermore.

I didn't have high expectations. In a certain Graphic Classics review of mine (I'm actually considering to make a blog for that - what do you think?), I briefly mentioned it. However, after reading a couple of Amazon comments and a review from The Guardian, I decided that it was worth checking out. It was generally considered a hit and miss (sadly, the most-agreed upon failure was "The Masque of the Red Death" interpretation, which broke my heart.). And it was published by Self Made Hero, whose quality I have learned from The Shadow Out of Time (comic, I.N.J. Culbard) and The Lovecraft Anthology Vol. I (comic, various. As I said, I need to know my Lovecraft in and out, and another Squidoo Lens is coming out soon). I decided it would be nice to check out. Poe can be interpreted many different ways. I learned my lesson there when I watched an AMAZING animated "Black Cat" but criticized it for being unfaithful. I learned afterward that the creator, Dill Tasker, was taking that crap 24/7 after explaining in the description that it was a LOOSE INTERPRETATION!

Plus, it had an introduction by Roger Corman, who is the world's foremost Poe film adapter. So there had to be a little quality in it!

We never recieved the confirmation email. After about three weeks, we tried to cancel, but it wouldn't really work. So we went to good 'ol Barnes and Noble. We ordered it there and left Amazon to cry in the dust.

After about three or four weeks of NOTHING AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, we went to Florida. There my appetite for material was sated with a generous amount of pretty birthday gifts (chiefly consisting of Lovecraft).

We ordered the book on December 31st towards midnight. It is now March 14th at 6:44 in the afternoon.

You know what? Screw this! I don't care about the book anymore, 'cause it isn't gonna arrive any time soon.

"It is easy to despise what you cannot get." - Aesop

DARREN SHAN IS AWESOME

Also, I have been reading Darren Shan's epic masterpiece series, The Demonata. I encountered these in Ireland and read the first three books in two weeks - this is the first ongoing series on which I've really been hooked, excluding Goosebumps, which can't really be called ongoing. My aunt got the rest of them for me at Christmas time.

This is riveting stuff - I'm reading the fourth book, Bec, and I cannot put it down! Darren Shan is also impacting my brother, in his Cirque du Freak/The Saga of Darren Shan series (while the books are shorter, there are more of them than in The Demonata). He ALSO cannot stop reading them, and at this rate will be finished by May.

Darren Shan will be at the amazing bookshop Books of Wonder next Thursday! Hope I can make it!

A REALLY, REALLY QUICK NOTE

"The Pit and the Pendulum," which was my third favorite Poe story, has been replaced by "The Black Cat." Just so you know (and sorry, "Pit")!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Brian here.

Before you post your comment, please be aware that all comments have to have my seal of approval before they come through to the main page, and I have some restrictions. I would ask that you keep away from inappropriate content, namely, foul-mouthed language/imagery or sexual references.

Thanks for commenting again! If you have a question, email me or I'll reply to your comment (probably).

BRIAN