Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"The Masque of the Red Death" in Art

Photo credit: ethanclements.blogspot.com
(I own nothing).

This has always been one of my favorite pictures of the Red Death from Edgar Allan Poe's short story. I'm working on a comic book adaptation of it (still unfinished) for our new book, Tales of the Grotesque, out Halloween. Here are some more pics:
Drawn by 1FoRgotTenPaSsWorD on www.deviantart.com. I like how the artist, instead of using overt blood and gore, had a simple yet creepy ventian/plague-doctor mask.

The Phantom dressed as the Red Death is the smash-hit musical The Phantom of the Opera, which is my favorite show. This also has a simple yet pretty awesome effect.

Harry Clarke's wonderful rendition. Here we see the more "corpse-like" aspect.

Art by Jennee M Bedsloe on www.elfwood.com. Another skeleton one here. It has a nice "glowing" feel to it.

Drawn by AbigailLarson at www.deviantart.com. From what I can tell, her work on Poe is in museum. And this is a gory one - blood dripping from the cloak.

This is a wallpaper from www.scenicreflecctions.com. Yeah, like the Red Death is a scenic reflection.

One of the more popular representations. From ethanclements.blogspot.com.

There are more. But I don't feel like it right now.
So...yeah.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Brian here.

Before you post your comment, please be aware that all comments have to have my seal of approval before they come through to the main page, and I have some restrictions. I would ask that you keep away from inappropriate content, namely, foul-mouthed language/imagery or sexual references.

Thanks for commenting again! If you have a question, email me or I'll reply to your comment (probably).

BRIAN