Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Poe, Lovecraft, and Leroux

Me and my brother (B & B Productions) have started working on our latest comic: Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of the Grotesque. I had the idea for it and we plan to have it out by Halloween. Brendan has just finished his adaptation of Hop-Frog - which he simplified down to the point where anyone could read it. He also contained bits and pieces of the original text.

I'm NEARLY done with my adaptation of The Masque of the Red Death. I contain more of the original text but I feel that my pictures of plague victims may be a little TOO gory and sadistic for the audience we're aiming the comic at. My brother took one look at the opening slide and said: "Poe would be proud." I want Poe to be proud. Plus, The Masque of the Red Death is, obviously, my personal company's namesake, the first Poe story I ever read (the fantastic Gris Grimly version), my favorite Poe story, AND its featured in one of my favorite books/musicals - The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux (musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber. My favorite show).

I've also been reading H.P. Lovecraft, who, like myself, read Poe before he was ten and was enormously inspired by him. H.P. Lovecraft comes in second as the master of American horror (the first being Poe, naturally) and I'm wondering if the Red Death Cinema or the Red Death Theatre divisions could make a film/show of one of his stories. There are so many choices - The Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, Herbert West - Reanimator, The Music of Erich Zann, The Dreams in the Witch House - so many choices! Same goes for Poe stories.

In the meantime, the success of B & B Productions' Bowling Ball comic is enormous. Business is booming. People are ASKING to pay. Double. The next installment comes out Friday. Check B & B's blog http://thehouseofbandb.blogspot.com for more details. In fact, as soon as I finish this, I'll write something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Brian here.

Before you post your comment, please be aware that all comments have to have my seal of approval before they come through to the main page, and I have some restrictions. I would ask that you keep away from inappropriate content, namely, foul-mouthed language/imagery or sexual references.

Thanks for commenting again! If you have a question, email me or I'll reply to your comment (probably).

BRIAN