Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Tell-Tale Heart

Next to The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell-Tale Heart is, arguably, the most famous Poe story of all time. As I have ascertained, The Masque of the Red Death has always been my favorite story by Poe. The mediaeval setting, the debauchery/elitist comeuppance of the Prince and his company, the grim horror of the corpse-like figure who enters...And then there is the inclusion of the tale in The Phantom of the Opera.

But The Tell-Tale Heart and I have had a rough relationship, partially because the story has a perverse humour about it. In The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether (which is a very funny political satire) it's okay, but in The Tell-Tale Heart (a horror story), it isn't.

But now that I think of it, this story has a truly disturbing premise - a man continuing to say he is not mad WHILE he calmly relates a hideous murder.

It is in my new film - The Tell-Tale Heart - that I try to convince myself of the full horror of the story.

I will play the Lunatic. My brother has a friend who might be willing to play the Old Man. All that leaves is my brother and one other for the Officers of the Police. And there.

I daresay the only hard part will be the sequence in which I am in the asylum, terrified, straitjacketed, and relating how I'm nervous but definitely not crazy. Put finger quotes around definitely. You know, it's a sign of sarcasm - forget it.

The short film shall be easy to shoot. No extravagant sets or effects. But Brendan and I will be animating a few surreal sequences for the audience to realize just how disturbed the Lunatic is. I am taking all sorts of inspiration for these - the 1953 James Mason terrifying animated film, Gerald Scarfe's truly creepy cartoons for The Wall, and so on.

I shall do this.

I will notify you when I am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Brian here.

Before you post your comment, please be aware that all comments have to have my seal of approval before they come through to the main page, and I have some restrictions. I would ask that you keep away from inappropriate content, namely, foul-mouthed language/imagery or sexual references.

Thanks for commenting again! If you have a question, email me or I'll reply to your comment (probably).

BRIAN